Sunday, May 15, 2016

Sunday Song #19: Is ar Eirinn ni neosfainn ce hi by Dervish

There's a home by the wide Avonmore
That would sweep o'er the broad open sea,
And wide rivers where the waves wash ashore
While the bulrushes they wave to the breeze;
Where the green ivy clings round the door
And the birds sweetly sing in each tree.
Oh me darling they're tuning their notes
Is ar Eirinn ni neosfainn ce hi.

Like a sick man that longs for the dawn
I do long for the light of her smile,
And I pray for my own cailin ban
While I'm waiting for her by the stile.
Oh, I'd climb all the hills of this land
And I'd swim all the depths of the sea
To get one kiss from her lily-white hand,
Is ar Eirinn ni neosfainn ce hi

I have toiled sore those year of my life
Through storm, through sunshine and rain,
And I surely would venture my life
For to shield her one moment from pain.
For she being my comfort in life
Though my comfort and joy she may be,
She's my own, she is my promised wife
Is are Eirinn ni neosfainn ce hi.

Oh, but when I will call her my own
And it's married we both then will be,
Like the king and the queen on their throne
We'll be living in sweet unity.
Oh, it's then I'll have a home of my own,
And I'll real up a nice family.
Oh it's then that her name will be known,
But for Ireland I won't tell her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment